Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thanksgiving

This year for Thanksgiving we are blessed with the opportunity to spend the holiday with friends in the North Carolina mountains. We will be having dinner at Russ and Sara Anne Ford's home on Lake Glenville. My contributions to the meal will be roasted vegetables and a sausage dressing. At the farmers' market I picked up sweet potatoes, new potatoes, butternut squash, fennel, and brussel sprouts. For the potatoes I plan to flavor olive oil overnight with rosemary and garlic. The butternut squash will be tossed in plain olive oil and seasoned with herbs de provence(Thanks to my big brother, Bird, for that tip! Love ya!). The fennel just gets olive oil and s&p. The brussel sprouts get lots of love - bacon drippings! Yes, even I loosen up on special occasions!

If you need a quick pie idea, try this.

Apple Tart
Pilsbury refrigerated pie crust
apricot jam
cinnamon
3 Granny Smith apples - pealed and sliced into 1/4" wedges
candied pecans pieces (see note)
whipped cream

Unroll the pie crust into a tart pan spread the bottom with apricot jam. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Arrange the apple wedges into concentric circles and top with candied pecans. Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes or until the crust is browned and the apples are tender. Allow to cool for 10 minutes then serve warm with some whipped cream - YUM!

Note on candied pecans - I think you can get candied pecans at most grocery stores these days. I know you can get them at Trader Joe's. But you Atlanta girls should take yourselves over to Greene's Fine Foods in Decatur and buy some Praline Pecans! I'm talking love on a nut, here! All their pecans are so meaty and delicious. Check it out! http://www.greenesfinefoods.com

Happy Thanksgiving, y'all!  I'll update with pictures when I get them!

No comments:

Post a Comment