Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Chili

It's cold and it's time for some soul satisfying chili! Here's a recipe that my family loves. I have one secret ingredient - smoked paprika! The kind I get at Your Dekalb Farmers Market comes in both sweet and hot. I like the spicy one, especially in chili. It adds a depth to the chili that you don't get from chili powder or regular paprika, a smokey yumminess. I also like Whole Foods Organic Spicy Black Beans in my chili. My picture has the pinto beans in it but I had leftovers with the black beans and they made me very happy. Jack doesn't like beans so Caterina and I put them on the bottom of our bowl and ladle bean-less chili on top.



Chili
2 lbs ground beef (or 1 lb ground beef & 1 lb ground turkey)
1/2 C chopped onion
2 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp oregano flakes
1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
8 Tbs chili powder
1/2 Tbs salt
1 large can of crushed tomatoes or 1 can of diced & 2 Tbs tomato paste
2 cans of black or pinto beans

Lightly brown the meat, add the onion & garlic and continue cooking until the onions are translucent. You can put it in the crock pot at this point or cook it stove top. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. If you are using a crock pot cook 4 - 6 hours on low; on the stove top simmer 1 - 2 hours. If my chili looks too watery I add 2 Tbs flour dissolved in 1/4 C water 30 minutes before serving. 

Before serving heat up some beans in a separate pot. If you are using the WF 365 black beans just heat them up. If you are using pinto beans, drain them then add juice from the chili to season them. I like my chili topped with cheddar cheese only. I'm sure this is good with sour cream and green onions as well.

I hope you like it!  

~ Ellen


No comments:

Post a Comment