Friday, November 5, 2010

BBQ Flat Iron Steak

This is one of my family’s favorite meals. The steak tastes so good that Jack always asks what kind of steak it is. He is sure it is a more expensive cut; flat iron steak is really inexpensive. I got this one at Kroger for $5/pound! For $7 in meat my family of three had a wonderful meal with steak left over for a yummy sandwich for lunch!! The trick to cooking a flat iron steak is to season it well. The BBQ dry rub and garlic work magic here. I paired this with a granny smith apple & gorgonzola salad. This is such an easy meal you can make it during the week but its good enough (and elegant enough) to serve to company!

BBQ Flat Iron Steak
flat iron steak
½ tsp minced garlic
Kosher salt & fresh ground pepper
1+ Tbs (a big handful) BBQ dry rub *

The meat should sit out for about 30 minutes to come to room temperature. If you are using a charcoal grill, light it then season the meat. If you are using a gas grill, you can light it after you season the meat. Rinse off the meat and pat it dry. Spread garlic over the steak. Season it with salt & pepper. Sprinkle the dry rub on the steak and pat it into the meat. It sticks to your hands but enough will stick to the meat as well.

The grill needs to be 450 - 500⁰ - nice and hot! Grill on the first side about 8 - 10 minutes until you have a nice crust. Flip over and cook for another 5 minutes for medium-rare. It should be nice and dark brown on both sides with a good crust.  Remove from the grill, loosely cover with foil and do not touch it for at least 10 minutes!!!  After the meat has rested, cut it into ¼” slices.


Salad
Mixed spring greens
Diced granny smith apple
Gorgonzola cheese crumbles
Toasted pecans
Balsamic vinaigrette

Nuts are the secret to a really great salad. I keep walnuts and pecans in the freezer at all times. Toast the pecans whole then chop them so they won’t burn as easily.

*Pantry Item of the Day
BBQ dry rub – I like Better Butt Rub that you can get in The Big Green Egg Store or Whole Foods. If you’re fortunate enough to live near Memphis you can pick up Rendevous or Corky’s at the grocery store. And if you’re nice to me, I’ll give you some of my house made dry rub for Christmas.

4 comments:

  1. Love it!! Just plan my meals for me! Going to the grocery to purchase some flat iron steak for tonight! I do live near Memphis and do have Corkys and Rendevous Rub!!
    Thank you Ellen!

    Add Sheleytaras@gmail.com to your blog list and bizzyaya@att.net or I can just send out your blog email address to several I know would love it!

    By the way - I am SOOO nice to you! (-: You can just have some of your dry rub waiting for me when I come to Atlanta in Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way - You know I am not Robert but he is the one with the Google account!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds delicious! Your blog is really good and entertaining. Great work! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. go Ellen...and I have never tasted a thing you've made that wasn't incredible. Plus I must be really nice 'cause I got some of that butt rub once and it made everyone over here on Oakdale really happy.

    ReplyDelete