Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Shivering in the Kitchen

Brrrr... We are snowed in and the heater is broken!!! Thanks to Erin we have 3 space heaters going in the kitchen this morning and the temperature is up to 52 degrees:-) I am so thankful that the electricity has not gone out!

The Farrises visited on Saturday night. What a treat! We also had the pleasure of keeping Virginia Kate for the day. What a cutie she is! Here's the beauty of frozen meatballs - I just defrosted those puppies and cooked up a big ole batch of sauce. We had a wonderful meal at home where Caterina and young Robert were able to run around and act silly. I had enough leftovers for a pasta lunch on Monday, the first snow day, and pizza Monday evening. We like Italian food around here. Recipes for all of this are in earlier posts!

Yesterday afternoon my sweet husband shoveled a wide path to the Big Green Egg (grill). My rosemary was under 4 inches of snow (I hope it survives. I should have covered it - drat!) so I used a Lawry's herb and garlic marinade. It was good but not as yummy as just using rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper. The other thing about store bought marinades is that huge list of ingredients that I don't know what they are! I don't really like them, but hey, it's a snow storm and 'Desperate times call for desperate measures!'. I have to admit that it's nice to have on hand for a quick fix or emergency. I like the flavors of the Lawry's brand best.

Pears are still really good this time of year. Really yummy in a salad with gorgonzola or cheddar and pecans. The citrus fruit is very nice too. We can go thru some clementines and grapefruit around here. I think I'll work on a good dressing for a grapefruit and avocado salad for you! I'm trying to get off the holiday overload and eat healthier - more fruit and vegetables, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment