Thursday, March 3, 2011

Omega-3 Yummy Waffles

Caterina is out sick today - and right before spring break too. Please pray for a quick recovery! She really feels awful! Since I can't go to work, I decided to make one of her favorites, waffles. What really inspired me was a New York Times article sent by my sister-in-law. Thanks, Mary Leita! I love to use coconut oil in the place of butter. Read the article if you have a minute.
DINING & WINE   | March 02, 2011
A Good Appetite:  Once a Villain, Coconut Oil Charms the Health Food World
By MELISSA CLARK
After gaining a bad reputation at theater concession stands in the '90s, coconut oil is back.


Please get extra virgin coconut oil. The refining process takes out much of the nutritional benefits of coconut oil. What I have found is that I can use less coconut oil than I would canola oil. For example with this mix I usually use more oil than recommended so they are not dry. With coconut oil I can use the recommended amount and have moist delicious waffles & pancakes. Since most fats have the same amount of fat & calories per tablespoon, I must be dishing up a lower fat waffle with the same great taste! As I mentioned before, I love this Maple Grove Farms of Vermont Pancake & Waffle Mix. It has no trans fat (not just 0 grams) or preservatives and has some whole wheat flour (not sure how much but better than none!). To make the waffles more healthy I added ground flax seed. Flax seed is super high in Omega-3 fatty acids which is good for your immune system, brain and heart!!! Don't use whole flax seed because it is not digestible unless ground. I also used Omega-3 eggs. Caterina eats a lot of eggs so I'm sure to get Omega-3 and/or organic.

Omega-3 Yummy Waffles
3 cups Maple Grove Farms Buttermilk Waffle Mix
1 1/2 Tbs ground flax seed
3 omega-3 eggs
3 Tbs coconut oil melted but not hot
1 1/2 cups of water

Mix together with a whisk. Brush your waffle iron with a small amount of coconut oil. Cook according to your waffle iron's directions. No need to butter! They are delicious with just a little maple syrup.

Oh my word! Caterina is now texting me requests for food from my bed. My house is not that big!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment