Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Quinoa!

Gosh, I can get really philosophical about this but I'll try to hold back. Quinoa kind of symbolizes where I want to be in life but half the time I'm just potato chips!!! Quinoa is the perfect food, it looks, cooks and acts very much like cous cous but is a wonderfully balanced nutritional element. It's been classified as a superfood - has a lot of protein but is exquisitely balanced in amino acids. Like pasta, it takes on flavors beautifully; unlike pasta, it's actually good for you. I think of quinoa as the food that can ease hunger and obesity in one food! Is that possible? I'm totally infatuated...

So what have I been doing these last few months since I haven't been blogging? I've been stuck. I've been looking for perfect recipes for really healthy food that is affordable and easy to make. I would like to find a way to help people be more healthy in their diets but it seems such a huge task that I've become paralyzed. Please pray that I can get past my shortcomings and move on to my calling - 'bridge the gap!'.

In the meantime, I've come up with this really great dish that I can't get enough of. I think it is so healthy and delicious that you can eat your fill with no worries.

Quinoa with Corn and Roasted Red Pepper
1 C quinoa
2 C water
2 tsp Knorr Caldo de Pollo (chicken bouillon)
1/2 red pepper
1/3 C Vidalia onion
2 Tbs olive oil
3 ears of corn - cooked and cut off the cob
1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
2 tsp chopped parsley
salt & pepper

Rinse the quinoa. (This removes a bitter taste but none of the nutritional value.) Put in a medium pot and add the water and bouillon. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes stirring occasionally. It should still be moist when done. In the meantime, saute the onion and red pepper in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. Add this to the cooked quinoa along with the cider vinegar and parsley. Taste for seasoning and finish with salt, pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment