Sunday, February 27, 2011

Smoked Boston Butt (Shredded Pork BBQ)

I wonder why they call this a Boston Butt. I don't know what they do with it up there, but down here in Georgia I smoke mine low and slow! It is great for feeding a crowd and the smoked meat freezes well. I decided to do one so we would have lunch options for the next couple of months. First I made the dry rub (recipe below). If you don't want to make the rub you can buy dry rubs. Read the label carefully. I don't like sugar in mine. I grew up near Memphis and am a Rendevous fan. That dry rub does not have a lick of sugar in it and that's where my taste buds developed. I also like Butt Rub. I saw it recently at The Cook's Warehouse. I've seen it in the past at The Big Green Egg Store. It has a white label with a sassy pig walking around on two legs.

I trimmed off the outer layer of fat and then I coated the butts in salt, pepper, garlic and dry rub. Jack started the Big Green Egg (our smoker/grill) with a thick layer of charcoal, soaked wood chips and one fire starter in the very middle. When he had a red spot of coal in the center, he set the vents on low and stabilized the temperature to 200 degrees. We use a heat deflector under the wire grill so it doesn't get direct heat. We then smoked the meat for 20 hours. It took that long for the temperature to reach 170 internal. We usually cook it for 12 hours but you just never can tell. When it was cool Jack shredded the meat taking out the fat. Topped with a little of Daddy's BBQ sauce it made an awesome sandwich!

Ellen's Dry Rub
1 cup ancho chili powder
1 T smoked paprika
1 T granulated garlic
1 T ground cumin
1 T coriander
2 tsp dried mustard
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp dried oregano
1/3 cup of Kosher salt
1 tsp pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment